The Dominion Energy monster rises again in Charles County. Dominion Energy is asking Charles County to go through the whole permit process again after they already held seven hearings and denied a permit to Dominion Energy for the compressor station it wants to build.
Let’s nip this in the bud quickly. The Charles County Board of Appeals will decide tonight at their meeting whether they will open up the permitting process. We need a strong presence that says, “No is no!.”
Please spread the word and show up:
TONIGHT, Tuesday, May 8 at 7:00 pm
And we are still fighting the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) to stop them from giving Dominion Energy a permit for the compressor station. It will take strong action to stop them because they said at the outset they are inclined to grant it (so much for democracy).
Here’s what you can do:
1. Join us Wednesday, May 9 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm in the lobby of the MDE at 1800 Washington Blvd in Baltimore. We sit and quietly hold signs (and you won’t believe how much that simple action bugs them). Sign up here.
2. Submit your public comment to the MDE. Submit your comment here.
3. Call Brian Frosh, the attorney general, at 240-479-9788. We suspect that MDE is moving ahead out of fear of a legal challenge by Dominion Energy. Tell Brian Frosh that his office should be directing MDE to respect Charles County by stopping the permit process, not giving in to Dominion Energy out of fear.
4. Call Andrea Baker, the attorney at the Maryland Department of the Environment, at 410-537-3055. Tell her that MDE should stop the permit process now.
5. Call Governor Hogan at 410 974 3901 and tell him that Maryland says NO to fracking and fracked gas. Stop the permit for Dominion Energy’s compressor station and order a safety study for Dominion Energy’s refinery and export terminal in Cove Point.
Governor Hogan will be campaigning this year. If you see him at an event, please ask him about the safety study. We must put this on voters’ radar so they know that Hogan claims to care about Marylanders, but he is failing us.
We appreciate all that you do for a cleaner and livable future. We have one more ask. We Are Cove Point depends on your support. We need to raise $1,000 each month to cover our expenses for printing, renting rooms, travel and more. Please donate if you are able. Your donation is tax deductible if you use our fiscal sponsor online.