The LGBTQ+ Rights Huddle is open to all members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies who are dedicated to fighting for equality. We hold monthly meetings, host educational and community-centered events, partner with other LGBTQ+ focused organizations, and advocate for LGBTQ+ friendly legislation on the state and county level. For more information please follow us on Facebook, read our blog posts below, and email VegetarianJPH@gmail.com to receive information on when and where our next meeting will be.
2020 Priority Legislation for LGBTQ+ Rights Huddle
- Blueprint for Maryland’s Future – Inclusion of LGBTQ student needs in the implementation of Kirwan Commission recommendations. From FreeState Justice, “LGBTQ youth are some of the most vulnerable students in our school system….A significant number of Maryland’s LGBTQ students do not feel safe, supported, or accepted at school.” Read the full letter from FreeState Justice here: https://freestate-justice.org/freestate-testifies-before-the-kirwan-commission/
- Ending Youth Homelessness – There are at least 2,425 “unaccompanied homeless youth,” or youth aged 24 and younger who are unstably housed or homeless and not with a parent or guardian, in Maryland. LGBTQ youth and youth of color are dramatically overrepresented. Unaccompanied homeless youth are forced to stay in unstable and unsafe living situations. Homelessness exposes youth to an increased risk of violence, human trafficking, and exploitation. In 2018, Maryland passed the Ending Youth Homelessness Act which:
- Creates a state grant program at the Department of Housing and Community Development to fund community-based organizations providing housing and supportive services for unaccompanied homeless youth;
- Funds a continuum of housing and supportive services designed for youth, including outreach, drop-in centers, emergency shelter, time-limited housing, and permanent housing; and
- Addresses the disproportionate representation of youth of color and LGBTQ youth who are homeless.
- In the 2020 legislative session, we are working with FreeState Justice to advocate for more funding for this program, which is absolutely critical to its success. Please help us by making calls to your state representatives when you see a call to action.
- Health Care Facilities (HB0255) – Hospitals and Related Institutions – Discrimination Protections. Altering the actions with regard to which hospitals and related institutions are prohibited from discriminating against individuals on certain grounds to include the treatment or procedure sought by the individual under certain circumstances; altering the characteristics of an individual on the basis of which hospitals and related institutions are prohibited from discriminating against the individual in certain actions; etc.
To find out more about LGBTQ rights and advocacy in Maryland, visit FreeState Justice https://freestate-justice.org/
Things are moving quickly! The House has now officially passed (96-38) the Blueprint for Maryland's Future and the next stop
As you may have heard the House and Senate are holding a marathon of sessions this weekend to try to
A sea of blue shirts rallied at the capital this morning to hear Brit Kirwan speak and support the big
Delegate Alice Cain and other supporters of full funding for the Kirwan recommendations (Blueprint for MD) for education reform are
The WISE LGBTQ+ Rights Huddle is advocating for the implementation of an Anne Arundel County Public Schools policy that will
COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY, JULY 1 AT 7:00 PM Arundel Center - Council Chambers44 Calvert StreetAnnapolis, MD 21401 Councilwoman Sarah
As part of an ongoing effort to continue the dialogue and work toward creating climates free of hate and bigotry,
Please join us and please share! Link to Facebook event here