The LGBTQ+ Rights Huddle is open to all members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies who are dedicated to fighting for equality. We hold monthly meetings, host educational and community-centered events, partner with other LGBTQ+ focused organizations, and advocate for LGBTQ+ friendly legislation on the state and county level. For more information please follow us on Facebook, read our blog posts below, and email VegetarianJPH@gmail.com to receive information on when and where our next meeting will be.
2020 Priority Legislation for LGBTQ+ Rights Huddle
- Blueprint for Maryland’s Future – Inclusion of LGBTQ student needs in the implementation of Kirwan Commission recommendations. From FreeState Justice, “LGBTQ youth are some of the most vulnerable students in our school system….A significant number of Maryland’s LGBTQ students do not feel safe, supported, or accepted at school.” Read the full letter from FreeState Justice here: https://freestate-justice.org/freestate-testifies-before-the-kirwan-commission/
- Ending Youth Homelessness – There are at least 2,425 “unaccompanied homeless youth,” or youth aged 24 and younger who are unstably housed or homeless and not with a parent or guardian, in Maryland. LGBTQ youth and youth of color are dramatically overrepresented. Unaccompanied homeless youth are forced to stay in unstable and unsafe living situations. Homelessness exposes youth to an increased risk of violence, human trafficking, and exploitation. In 2018, Maryland passed the Ending Youth Homelessness Act which:
- Creates a state grant program at the Department of Housing and Community Development to fund community-based organizations providing housing and supportive services for unaccompanied homeless youth;
- Funds a continuum of housing and supportive services designed for youth, including outreach, drop-in centers, emergency shelter, time-limited housing, and permanent housing; and
- Addresses the disproportionate representation of youth of color and LGBTQ youth who are homeless.
- In the 2020 legislative session, we are working with FreeState Justice to advocate for more funding for this program, which is absolutely critical to its success. Please help us by making calls to your state representatives when you see a call to action.
- Health Care Facilities (HB0255) – Hospitals and Related Institutions – Discrimination Protections. Altering the actions with regard to which hospitals and related institutions are prohibited from discriminating against individuals on certain grounds to include the treatment or procedure sought by the individual under certain circumstances; altering the characteristics of an individual on the basis of which hospitals and related institutions are prohibited from discriminating against the individual in certain actions; etc.
To find out more about LGBTQ rights and advocacy in Maryland, visit FreeState Justice https://freestate-justice.org/
Maryland has officially joined the growing number of states and municipalities adopting critical protections for LGBTQ youth. “No child should ever be
On January 25, 2018 the WISE LGBTQ Huddle held a very successful event called Conversation for a Cause. There were